How do you define Black Dress?
“Black Dress | Dress Black “- What imagery does either phrase conjure up!
Black Dress 2012started a study In association with Journalist Fabian Burrell
There are the subtle nuances that states, you “dress Black,” or are they the nuances in imagery that “prevents” inclusion and often have magazines looking like a “copy”! Then again there is formal wear or is it the ethnicity of the designer!…Bonnie Sandy
DEFINING BLACK DRESS
I immediately thought aesthetics. – What is Black “stlye”, “fashion” or “dress?”
African American, Up North, Down South, East Coast, West Coast! European, Caribbean, Brooklyn. What separates “Flatbush” from “Fort Greene” and Harlem all came to mind.
Then there are the subtle nuances that states, you “dress Black,” or are they the nuances in imagery that “prevents” inclusion and often have magazines looking like a “copy”!
Then again there is “black dress” as in formal wear or is it the ethnicity of the designer!
I started thinking of other connotations of the phrase. But, in speaking to some of the designers and consumers, I realized they knew only of a small segment of black design, depending on their contemporaries and where they shopped! I became intrigued, I’d really love to explore the full spectrum of Black dress!
The “Fashion” Market
Break down by Positioning Retail
- Mass Market
What They “Do”
The Styles They Cover
- · Urban-Wear Designer (Hip Hop)
- · Skater/Street-Wear (Trash and Vaudeville)
- · Modern/Contemporary
- · Business Contemporary
- · Eco-Chic Green
- · Avant Garde
- · Traditional Ethnic
- · Modern Ethnic
- · Bridal/Formal
- · The Wearables
- · Wearable Art
- · Transformers— Clothing that convert; modern take on ethnic shapes!
- · Wearable Technology
- · Wearable Heritage – A HUGE economic facet
- · Cultural
- · Ceremonial
- · “Spiritual ” vestments and other clothing such as the “spiritual Baptist” including; wearable medicine (Yes, I’ve heard it!)
- · Pageantry
- · Lingerie
- · Accessories:- Shoes, Belts, Scarves, Hosiery
- · Jewelry/Fine Jewelry, Watches, Precious Metals
The organizations & Events
- Noir La Mode
- Arise Fashion week
- Fashion Fax
- Diaspora Arts
- Black Design News Network
- Fort Green Fashion Group out or Bocnet.org
- Harlem Row
- Brooklyn Fashion Week & Brooklyn Fashion Film Festival
- Queens Fashion Week
- Full Figure Fashion week
- Africa Fashion Week NY
Blacks Shows Participate in:
- Williamsburg Fashion Weekend
- Nolcha Fashion Week
- Couture Fashion Week
- Emerging Sector Fashion Tech
- Brooklyn Fashion Film Festival
We are currently researching and reaching out to our network s in Fashion tech and journalism to identify the final rundown!